Saturday, January 17, 2015

Heroic Leadership

For me to become the most successful leader, my goal is to use the Heroic Leadership model to its fullest capabilities. In order to use a model like this, key aspects like integrity, commitment, and selflessness are imperative. However, my favorite aspect of this leadership is something that almost no other leadership model has--love. It is such a simple thing, yet for many in leadership roles, has no position whatsoever. How can leaders lead without knowing who they are leading, by having compassion for those who they represent, or showing understanding for the obstacles and triumphs that others face? It is not only the inclusion of love that makes this leadership model the most appealing. Essentially, the Heroic Leadership model is the art of influencing others to their personal best in any task or project by putting their needs and your goal's needs above your own. Shouldn't this be the goal of any leader? I think that meeting a goal or ensuring that your team performs to their highest potential outweighs any personal issues that one may have.The key to being a truly great leader is bringing out each individual's true potential, that one thing that clicks for them so that they, along with the rest of your team, can succeed in their own personal way. I love this aspect of the Heroic model because what could be better than seeing others succeed and blossoming into truly inspiring people.

Now, I'm pretty sure we can all agree the Optimus Prime represents the Heroic Leadership model perfectly. He leads his team of Autobots with integrity, valor, and love, caring for each one without limits. He is a true example of why this leadership model is awesome! (Sorry for geeking out a little).
Although I find myself leaning towards this leadership model, I do have some hesitations and reservations about it. My one question is: how does one forgo their own personal desires, wants, and agendas completely solely for the benefit of others? Now, maybe this is just me being selfish, but I don't know if I would be able to completely let go of everything that I want and all of my own personal goals just to ensure that others are able to accomplish theirs. I mean, we all have goals, so how are we individually supposed to succeed if we have to give up our own goals every time someone else is in need? 


Being in student body president in high school, there were many times where I had to give up my own personal ideas because other members of my government team had ideas that would benefit the everyone instead of just a select few. Also, there were many times where I spent my own personal time to help others with their plans, ideas, and events reach true success. Also, here at Santa Clara, I'm in Associated Student Government, and part of the role is being able to work with others collaboratively. Part of that is being able to understand other peoples' mentalities when it comes to planning different events or when trying to create beneficial change on campus to better meet a group's expectations. Being in such leadership roles, I am definitely starting to get used to this idea that in order for leaders to reach their fullest potential, the idea of love and compassion needs to take form. 

I think this picture connects really well with the Social Change model. We are all individuals with different personalities, ideas, cultures, and more, however, when we come together and collaborate without discrimination, our world truly creates something special. We need to work together not only individually or within small groups, but our actions are all interwoven with the rest of our communities. By having common values and by working together, we accomplish the impossible! 






2 comments:

  1. Hey Nick! Your perspective on the Heroic Model is really interesting. While I chose the Leadership Challenge, I also agree with this model. In response to your hesitations about this model: maybe the leader's goals are to benefit others? It's probably really hard to essentially sacrifice yourself like that (like Optimus Prime did for Sam when he was like "put the cube in my chest!") but sometimes the outcome is worth the sacrifice. I also think your picture for the Social Change model is cool since it puts people of all colors on the same level, which I think should basically be the ultimate global goal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Nick, I think you ask a great question in challenging the Heroic Leadership style when you ask, "How does one forgo their own personal desires, wants, and agendas completely solely for the benefit of others?" In the book written by Lowney, he helps us to understand that the model is not necessarily about forgoing desires, wants or agendas, but understanding how if we are giving of ourselves, it should be fulfilling to us because if we are truly invested in others, we are achieving our own wants and desires by the relationships we build and helping them succeed. (I'd be happy to let you borrow the book if you're interested - I think you might really enjoy it!). Great reflection, including taking the concepts and sharing how they have applied in your life.

    ReplyDelete